Hebridean Wind Vane Construction: Part 7 (Starting the trunk and the extension)

Woa, whats this? Some more windvane stuff?

Despite the lack of updates on it, I’ve been plugging away here and there, but hadn’t really done enough to warrant a full blog post. UNTIL NOW

As said in my last post, I got the Iroko wood planks, and last weekend my friend Phil (same phil of the race to alaska challenge) took me to the yacht club of which he is a member, and let me use their table and rip saw! And when I say let me use, I mean he did almost all the cutting because I am a giant pansy and it looked really scary!

Starting with this


Phil did a bunch o’ cutting like this


And I ended up with this


First thing was to assemble the trunk, this is the main part of the windvane.

I dry fit everything to figure out how it went together, and then clamped it together and drilled the pilot holes for the wood screws



And then screwed them together as a test fit.


Next step was to clean and epoxy + screw them together. Here it is drying in the background.  I also had to glue the two pieces of the extension together, which is the thing drying in the foreground.



Not many pictures of the expoxy process as I was too busy coating myself and almost everything else with a thin layer of the stuff. Sigh.

Final result



And here is the extension


One stupid thing I did was use clingfilm (or sarin wrap for the north americans) as a protective barrier, thinking I could just pull it off after the epoxy dried. Instead, it kind of melted on. Not a huge problem, it just looks ugly!

Finally, I can start to see the shape of this thing!



Leave a Reply