So long, Wind Chime

Wind Chime is no more.

Yesterday, I stripped the letters from Wind Chime’s stern








and removed the license numbers from her bow.





I also removed the weird Luhrs Yacht sticker on the inside that had been there since I got the boat. It’s not a Luhrs, it’s a Cherubini Hunter.


Today, it was time to finish the denaming.

So I removed every instance and document with the old boat name off of the boat, and put it in my car. I was unsure if I had to burn them or not, but it was raining. I’ll burn them another time, just to be safe, and scatter into an ebb tide.

Then, I got a bottle of champagne, and chanted the following recitation (modified from John Vigor’s denaming ceremony)

“In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favour us with their blessing today.

“Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves;

“And mighty Aeolus, guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:

“We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past.  We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.

“Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known, Wind Chime, be struck and removed from your records.

“Further, we ask that when this vessel is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.

“In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to thy domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.

“In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea.”

 I then sprayed the bottom of champagne over the bow, and poured the rest over the top of the bow while my friend Emma took a couple of pictures and looked solemn.

Of course, with my luck, the normally empty boatyard had someone move their boat right next to mine, so he was there while I was yelling the above, which was…. embarrassing to say the least.

Luckily being a boat owner he knew what was up, and looked suitable grave on the occasion, so I had two witnesses.





And with that, on a wet, cold, rainy Monday, after 35 years, Wind Chime ceased to be.



    • Argh – sorry John, I was SURE I’d credited you, but apparently not (although you are named in the tags for the blog post). It’s now fixed – my only excuse is that it was a pretty upsetting and tumultuous time of my life.

Leave a Reply